Dealing with a hornet’s nest is scary and risky. If there are hornets on your property, here is what you should and shouldn’t do.
- DON’T Attempt to Remove the Nest Yourself– Especially if you have any allergies, any children around, or are underprepared, do not attempt to the remove the nest on your own. Keep your distance and call a professional.
- DON’T Approach the Nest During the Day – Hornets are awake and active during the day and are more likely to sting and be aggressive. Make sure to give them their space, especially during the day.
- DON’T Use Fire or Water – Don’t attempt to burn or drown the nest. These DIY methods are ineffective and extremely dangerous. The water will only make the hornets defensive. Plus, using fire could put you at risk of getting burns or igniting your home or another part of your property.
- DO Wear Protective Gear – Make sure you put safety first if you go anywhere near the hive. Wear the correct equipment, such as thicker clothing that covers your skin or a protective bee suit. Also cover your face with a beekeeping veil if possible.
- DO Be Cautious – Take extra care and preventative measures when you are near the nest. If you must go near the nest, do so at night and do your best to keep any light source away from you, as the hornets will be attracted to it.
- DO Call Us Right Away – If you have hornets on your property, the most important thing to do is call us right away. We can handle the hornet removal, so you don’t have to.
If you have questions or concerns about hornet removal and prevention, give us a call.